- RSS Channel Showcase 5921778
- RSS Channel Showcase 1214497
- RSS Channel Showcase 9309520
- RSS Channel Showcase 6469310
Articles on this Page
- 12/06/16--09:08: _The Profound Story ...
- 12/12/16--08:35: _How An Old Photo of...
- 12/27/16--08:08: _On Dealing with My ...
- 01/11/17--09:29: _That Time My Husban...
- 02/16/17--09:31: _How My Jewish Commu...
- 03/16/17--07:25: _After Threats, the ...
- 05/04/17--10:46: _How My Daughter Bec...
- 08/08/17--07:15: _I Thought This Cart...
- 09/18/17--09:09: _How Our Family Surv...
- 12/06/16--09:08: The Profound Story Behind This Simple Sibling Photo
- 12/27/16--08:08: On Dealing with My 12-Year-Old Son’s Eating Disorder
- 01/11/17--09:29: That Time My Husband’s Car Was Stolen & Our JCC Had a Bomb Threat
- 03/16/17--07:25: After Threats, the Responses to Our JCC Fundraiser Blew My Mind
- 05/04/17--10:46: How My Daughter Became a Jedi at a Star Wars Celebration
- 08/08/17--07:15: I Thought This Cartoon Would Be Cute—But It Was Anti-Semitic
- 09/18/17--09:09: How Our Family Survived a Hurricane (and Escaped to Disney World)
If there is a picture that can tell a thousand words, it is this one. The average observer would think that the above photo is just a beautiful picture of three siblings that captures a funny moment. While that may be true, the actual story is much more profound and spans several years. My 12-year-old, […]
When I was a little girl, and my dad would tuck me into bed, I always begged for the same story. “Daddy, tell me again about the time you snuck into the back door at Carnegie Hall and watched Frank Sinatra from the side of the stage, pleeeeease.” Not your typical bedtime story, but my […]
Two out of my three kids are picky eaters. The middle kiddo, who is 9, will take at least a bite of most things that we ask him to try. He prides himself on being our adventurous eater. My 3-year-old is a typical picky toddler. She eats PB&J, chicken nuggets, bananas, goldfish crackers–the usual. I’m […]
This is the story of my terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day—the humor I managed to find in it, and the lessons I learned along the way. It was the first day back to school (for two of my three kids) after a long winter break. Waking up early wasn’t easy, but we managed. […]
My JCC in Maitland, Florida (near Orlando) has been around for more than 40 years. Just like most JCCs, we have a preschool, a summer camp, activities for seniors, a theater department, after school care, and a vibrant community of loving, caring people. For some reason, in January, we were the target of repeated threatening […]
January was a difficult time for our JCC: in a period of 13 days we received three bomb threats. After repeated evacuations and lockdowns, many parents decided to withdraw their children from the preschool. The emotional and financial impact was overwhelming. After the dust had settled, it was decided that a large-scale 24-hour fundraiser called “Then, […]
“Star Wars” wasn’t on my radar (I was more of a “Star Trek” fan) until I started dating my now husband in college. He was delighted to be the first person to show me the original movies. We saw each of the prequels in the theater. As any true fan will tell you, they were […]
What’s the difference between a Jewish Mother and a Rottweiler? Eventually the Rottweiler lets go! Tee hee. Let’s face it, Jewish moms have quite a few stereotypes to live up to, or live down. Apparently, we’re overprotective, we’re emotional, and we’re affectionate to the point of smothering. These stereotypes have been all over TV and […]
We lived (in Florida) through Hurricane Irma- the largest storm ever recorded in the Atlantic Ocean. The power outage led to the one of the greatest recovery efforts due to a natural disaster in history. So many people lost so much, and I cannot imagine what they are going through right now. My family was […]